THE BOOK OF 1ST JOHN CHAPTER 5
- Apostle John kept on encouraging brethren on love and faith, as it is these are the first and last points to salvation.
- He said that everyone who believes that Jesus Christ is born of God and believe in him is truly a child of God.
- As John 1v12 says those who believed and received were given power to be called his children
- This we have got power, authority and qualify to all his inheritance with equal rights of heirs of a throne. We are qualified by his blood, word and our faith in Him
- We have another genealogy which is in our blood- which is not from our parents. But from the one above.
- In Colossians 3 vs 14 says- Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross; meaning we are born of a certain blood, which has power to rub off everything that is contrary to destiny.
- By obeying God’s commandments we show that we love him and we are of him
- We all need Grace for this and Grace comes from above.
- When you love, the Holy Spirit manifest in you. The love of God will not take us away from his commandments.
- We are of God and we are the light of the world
- In verse 4 it says ’for everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith’.
- So for us to overcome this world and win these battles we need Jesus in us and on our side. Only those who confess that Jesus is Lord will win these battles.
- Roman 10 vs 9-10 say; “that if you confess with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with your heart you believe and are justified, and with your mouth you confess and are saved.
- 1 John 2vs27; But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.
- Holy Spirit will teach us to overcome for we have an advocate in Jesus Christ.
- Jesus said to his disciples in acts 1. But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you. And you will be My witnesses, telling people about Me everywhere - in Jerusalem, throughout Judea, in Samaria, and to the ends of the earth. - meaning that they were to tarry yee in Jerusalem until they have the strength from the Holy Spirit
- So we need the Holy Spirit and we do have the Holy Spirit in us.
- John 14vs26 "But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you.
- Luke 12vs12 “for the Holy Spirit will teach you in that very hour what you ought to say."
- In this world we are in a battle and to overcome these battles we need the Holy Spirit. We cannot do it on our own.
- Nehemiah 9vs20 "You gave Your good Spirit to instruct them, Your manna You did not withhold from their mouth, And You gave them water for their thirst.”
- When he says overcoming the world in vrs 4. He is talking about overcoming the devil and his wicked ways.
- The devil is always in the vicinity with us, but everyone who believes that Jesus Christ is the son of God will surely overcome the devil.
- 1 John 4vs4 “Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.”
- For everything is under God’s kingdom
- Just by believing in the Lord, you have the power to turn the world upside down.
- In Matt 28 vs 20 he promised saying. “And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."
- Meaning he will never leave till the end.
- Deut 31vs6 “Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid of them: for the LORD thy God, he it is that doth go with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee.” Heb 13:5 Deut 31:8 Joshua 1:5
- So Apostle John is teaching the churches that has been encrypted that you are more that conquerors and over comers. That you are winners already because you are with Jesus till the end.
- For Jesus who was without a sin died for us. And his death makes us qualified conquerors
- Isaiah prophesied to Israel about the coming of the Messiah telling them that the one who is coming is blameless and shall make our sins as white as snow.
- We should always cry to Jesus for purification of our sins.
- For the Holy Spirit takes away fear from us
- If you want to be bold, you should allow the Holy spirit to work in you
- Jesus Christ came by The Water and the Blood and there are three that bear record in Heaven The Father, The Word, and The Holy Ghost: and these three are one. There are are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one
- Everyone who believes should read the word of God for the word testifys the coming of the Holy Spirit.
- By having the holy spirit it means we have an eternal life
- So people who do not believe that Jesus Christ is the son of God are not of God and are liars
- Whenever we pray we should always pray in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.
- We should always ask in the name of Jesus for he is the advocate who qualifies us and stand in the gap for us.
- We should always know that we have eternal life, we should walk with confidence knowing that whatever we ask for we will have because the one who is standing on the gap for us is greater. He was nor created but he is the CREATOR
- In verse 16 and 17 he says. 16 If anyone sees his brother committing a sin not leading to death, he should ask God, who will give life to those who commit this kind of sin. There is a sin that leads to death; I am not saying he should ask regarding that sin. 17 All unrighteousness is sin, yet there is sin that does not lead to death.…
- Meaning some sins leads to death: spiritual death and physical death, they damage your soul and your Spirit. And some sins only affect the body not the Spirit.
- He is also teaching us to know how to approach our dear brethrens when we notice them sinning. We need spiritual wisdom to approach with.
- In summary below are things that the word is teaching
- The three areas about sin we should learn from our living and day to day walk with Christ. We should be aware of the wrong teaching and guard ourselves from a
o Denial that sin breaks our fellowship with God
o Denial that sin exist in our nature
o Denial that sin shows itself in our conducts.
- The scripture is also teaching us about redemption and to stay away from
o Sinful acts
o Sinful nature
o And the sin of ignorance
- For we should all know that
o God is love
o Being a Christian = Love
o In the worldly life we only make it with – Love
- He also teaches us about responsibilities as Christians
o Spiritually – To confront any darkness, love one another and also to maintain our intimacy relationship with the Lord
o Physically – To provide for our friends, individual families and the church family
o Lay down our lives for our fellow brethrens and die to self
- We should know that we are assured of our salvation by
o Keeping commandments
o Loving our fellow brethrens
o The Holy Spirit
- WE should know as individuals that
o Jesus passed from death to life
o We are in Jesus Christ
o And we shall be like him and have natural affection to all brethrens