CHOOSING HOPE (Luke 8:43-48) Ps T L Mukumba 6-Dec-2020
Text (Luke 8:43-48) 43 And a woman was there who had been subject to bleeding for twelve years, but no one could heal her. 44 She came up behind him and touched the edge of his cloak, and immediately her bleeding stopped. 45 “Who touched me?” Jesus asked. When they all denied it, Peter said, “Master, the people are crowding and pressing against you.” 46 But Jesus said, “Someone touched me; I know that power has gone out from me.” 47 Then the woman, seeing that she could not go unnoticed, came trembling and fell at his feet. In the presence of all the people, she told why she had touched him and how she had been instantly healed. 48 Then he said to her, “Daughter, your faith has healed you. Go in peace.”
- To Choose is to Select; It means Selecting, Preferring, opting for, Picking,
- Hope is a feeling of expectation and desire for a certain thing to happen; a feeling of trust; trust, expectation; confidence
- Jairus approaches and kneels down pleading for help.
- When you kneel before seeking and pleading for help, he hear your prayer
- On His way to Jairus a crowd follow.
- I was Jairus, I would ask a question like, why are they follow us. I expect my privacy to be respected. I need my own space with you Jesus. One thing we should know is that if you are a Jesus person you are people’s person.
- From the story – Jesus is on journey to Jairus house to heal Jairus’ daughter
- This woman had a hidden need. She had lived with it for 12 years
- The woman had gone through many issues. She had;
o Suffered – I don’t know what you are suffering from
o Suffered with Constant bleeding – Constant problem
o She could find no cure – No solution
o Coming behind – Why was she coming may because she was not confident. She was ashamed. Jairus had faced Jesus directly.
o It doesn’t matter where you are coming from, if you do it from heart Jesus will do it for you
o The Law: According to Jewish laws she was ceremonially defiled and was not supposed to be around people when bleeding (Lev 15:19-22)
o Issue of blood and being woman. According to Jewish law a man who touched a menstruating woman became ceremonially unclean (Leviticus 15:19-28). In Jesus mind this woman was not to be overlooking, as God creation she deserved attention and absolute respect.
o Nothing had worked for 12 years. It was not right to come Jesus as last resort.
o She was not an important person, she didn’t money. Jairus was rich and influential in the society
o The people around. It virtually to get through a multitude but woman desperately fought her through the multitude in order touch Jesus. As soon as she did so she was healed. Just think about a celebrity through your city, this was situation and crowd around Jesus.
§ Many people are curious about Jesus but there are a few who reach him and touch
§ Many people are familiar about who jesus is but nothing their lives is changed knowing he is the Son the of God. It is faith in Christ that releases God’s power. Reach him by faith today.
o Proverbs 26:13 A sluggard says, “There’s a lion in the road, a fierce lion roaming the streets!”
o She allowed nothing to stand in her way
- She touched the fringe/herm of His robe/garment. According to the Jewish customs and manners it is sign humility
- Immediately bleeding stopped.
- Just touch the hem of his garment. He will respond
- As the service is moving on, some might feeling well, some might be thinking about something just like the disciples.
- This is a time to make it yourself in your own house
- Peter and the other that were him said “Master, the multitude throng thee and press thee, and sayest thou, who touched me?”
- Today many churches have in their places of worship but not everyone has managed to touch Jesus because they were thinking of something else during the service. They were not focused on the message of Lord through preacher man, but I want to encourage you today to focus and concentrate on the word/message and your will never be the same again.
- How can you say that knowing that we are online? Man have got excuses
- The woman realized that she could not hidden, she began to tremble and fell to her knees on him.
- Her confession was important for her to strengthen her faith and to also strengthen Jairus
- The whole crowd had her explain why she had touched him and that she had been immediately healed.
- May the Lord immediately heal you today.
- He said to her daughter your faith has made you well. Go in peace.
- 49 While he yet spake, there cometh one from the ruler of the synagogue's house, saying to him, Thy daughter is dead; trouble not the Master. 50 But when Jesus heard it, he answered him, saying, Fear not: believe only, and she shall be made whole.
- The language that Jesus using is she will be healed. No Jesus they said she is dead.
- Jesus was in to the principle of their journey. She was healed and restored
- They thought Jesus could only heal living people, they didn’t know he can raise the dead. He raised Lazarus after 4 days.