Updated: Jan 1, 2021
1 John 5:4-5
4 For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.5 Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God? (KJV)
4 For every child of God defeats this evil world, and we achieve this victory through our faith. 5 And who can win this battle against the world? Only those who believe that Jesus is the Son of God. (NLT)
He who overcomes, I will grant to him to sit down with Me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne.
Three Main Points that I will emphasize from the theme verse above:
A. Our Sonship
B. Our Victory
C. Our Faith
A. OUR SONSHIP
"FOR WHOSOEVER IS BORN OF GOD OVERCOMETH THE WORLD."
Who gave birth to you? Is it the flesh or the Spirit? (John 3:5-6) – Divine Lineage
Is your vision born of God?
Born: (gennao from genos = offspring, in turn from ginomai = to become) means to beget, to bring forth, to give birth, to procreate a descendant, to produce offspring, to generate.
Fathered by God:
"But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, [even] to those who believe in His name, who were born not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God." (John 1:12-13)
In verse one John speaks of being born of God. "Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Messiah is born of God." (1 John 5:1)
1. Jesus spoke to Nicodemus about the necessity of being born again. You cannot enter the kingdom of heaven without being born again. John 3:1-21
Do not be deceived! Many claim they are Christian but have no fruit in their life to validate their claim (John 15:1-14, Gal 5:16-22. For someone to be born they have come out of the womb. There is the womb of the Spirit (Pneuma Gk, Rauch Heb) and of the flesh. John 3:6 Whatever is born of the flesh is flesh. Whatever is born of the Spirit is spirit.
The word water in John 3:5 is figurative of salvation. Water is representing the word of God. John 4:14, Isa 12:3, John 15:3, Ephesians 5:26, James 1:18, 1 Peter 1:23 and Romans 6:2-6
2. In natural everyone that is born have got a DNA: DNA is the carrier of genetic information. The fundamental and distinctive characteristics or qualities of someone or something, especially when regarded as unchangeable.
a. DNA (deoxyribonucleic acid), a self-replicating material which is present in nearly all living organisms as the main constituent of chromosomes. It is a molecule composed of two polynucleotide chains that coil around each other to form a double helix carrying genetic instructions for the development, functioning, growth and reproduction of all known organisms and many viruses. DNA and ribonucleic acid are nucleic acids. Alongside proteins, lipids and complex carbohydrates, nucleic acids are one of the four major types of macromolecules that are essential for all known forms of life.
3. Nicodemus asked, "How can a man be born again when he is old?" John 3:1-21
> God wants us to be part of the divine lineage
> For someone to born they have to come out of the womb:
John 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
- The word water is figurative of salvation. Water is representing the word. John 4:14, Isa 12:3, John 15:3, Ephesians 5:26, James 1:18, 1 Peter 1:23 and Romans 6:2-6
4. Jesus responded, "As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, so must the Son of man be lifted up, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have eternal life. For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:14-16)
5. Jesus answered the question as to how a person is born again twice. "By believing in Jesus Christ."
> The verse starts with Whatsoever. Why "whatsoever" rather than "whoever"? "Whatever" is used because its including the person and the situation in their life. Whoever is born of God, no matter what his situation is, "overcomes the world." But "whatever [person] is born of God [no matter how distinguished from others by His providence] overcomes the world."
Blessings of new birth:
1. Power to do righteousness (1 John 2:29)
2. Actual sonship (1 John 3:1-3, 8-10)
3. Freedom from sin (1 John 2:9, 5:18)
4. Love for brethren (1 John 4:7-8, 3:14-18, 5:1)
5. Love for God (1 John 4:19, 5:1-3)
6. Power to keep NT commandments (1 John 5:2-3, John 1:12, 14:15, 15:14)
7. Power to overcome the world (1 John 5:4)
8. Freedom from Satan (1 John 5:18)
B. OUR VICTORY - Those who are born of God OVERCOME the world.
To Overcome means to conquer, to be victorious or to prevail in the face of obstacles. Overcome describes the quality of our lives. When we stumble and fall down God will always pick us up.
Are you overcoming the world?
Is the World overcoming you?
1. The world has been defined by John in this epistle, as "The lust of the flesh; the lust of the eye; and the pride of life."
2. There are three entities that work in concert against us who are born of God.
a. The world; the flesh; the devil.
b. These are an enemy to all who would seek to live a godly life.
3. Thus, we overcome the lusts of our flesh and our eyes. In this year of overcoming, we are going to overcome the world, the flesh and the devil
Jesus gave special [Eternal] promises to those who overcomes the world.
1. Rev 2:7 ‘He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes, I will grant to eat of the tree of life, which is in the Paradise of God.’
2. Rev 2:11 ‘He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. He who overcomes shall not be hurt by the second death.’
3. Rev 2:17 ‘He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes, to him I will give [some] of the hidden manna, and I will give him a white stone, and a new name written on the stone which no one knows but he who receives it.’
4. Rev 2:26 ‘And he who overcomes, and he who keeps My deeds until the end, TO HIM I WILL GIVE AUTHORITY OVER THE NATIONS;
5. Rev 3:5 ‘He who overcomes shall thus be clothed in white garments; and I will not erase his name from the book of life, and I will confess his name before My Father, and before His angels.
6. Rev 3:12 "'He who overcomes, I will make him a pillar in the temple of My God, and he will not go out from it anymore; and I will write upon him the name of My God, and the name of the city of My God, the new Jerusalem, which comes down out of heaven from My God, and My new name.
7. Rev 3:21- 'He who overcomes, I will grant to him to sit down with Me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne.
This is the victory that overcomes the world.
1. Victory over the world, over our lusts and over our situation. This is exactly what people are looking for today.
2. So many have been trapped by the lusts of the flesh. There are so many lures in the world that ensnare a person and hold them in bondage, pornography, drugs, sex, alcoholism.
i. One of the prophecies concerning the Messiah was that He would proclaim liberty to the captives, and that He would open the prison doors to those who are bound. (Isaiah 61:1-11)
> These are the good tidings He came to proclaim. There is freedom for you from the bondage of sin.
C. "Even OUR FAITH."
1. Matthew tells us of two blind men that followed Jesus and when he came into the house they came to Him and He asked them, "Do you believe that I am able to do this?" They responded, "Yes." Jesus answered, "According to your faith be it done unto you." Matthew 9:29
2. To the centurion Jesus said, "As you have believed be it done unto you." Matthew 8:13
3. To the woman from Syrophoencia Jesus said, "O woman, great is your faith, be it done to you even as you desire." Matthew 15:28
4. To the woman who touched the hem of His garment, He said, "Daughter be of good comfort, your faith has made you whole." Luke 8:48
5. What is faith? Hebrew 1:1
a. I believe that it is believing that God is able, but I think that it goes one step further, and believes that God will do it now.
b. We all believe that He can do it, we just aren't sure if He will.
6. Do you believe that God wants to set a man free from the bondage of sin?
a. Of course, you know He does.
b. If you believe that God wants to set you free, and you desire to be free, what is keeping you in bondage?
c. The failure to believe that God will do it now, tonight.
d. Believing some day that God is going to do it is not an active faith.
You can overcome the world. There is victory for you in Jesus.
a. You do not have to be in bondage to the world, the flesh, and the devil.
Jesus defeated these for Christian life.
i. Jesus said on John 16:33, "I have overcome the world."
These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.
ii. 1 John 3:8 we says "For this purpose He came into the world that He might destroy the works of the devil."
He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.
iii. Paul said that the old man was crucified with Christ that to body of sin should no longer reign over you.
Romans 6:6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.
b. The victory of Jesus will be imparted to you/us
“I am crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but it is Christ who lives in me.”—Galatians 2:20
“Because the God who said, Out of darkness light shall shine, is the One who shined in our hearts to illuminate the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. But we have this treasure in earthen vessels that the excellency of the power may be of God and not out of us.”—2 Corinthians 4:6-7.
d. His strength is made perfect in our weakness.
2 Corinthians 12:8-10 8 For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me. 9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.
Blessings of Faith
1. Bodily Healing (Matt 8:10, Acts 3:16)
2. Protection (Matt 8:26, 14:31)
3. Daily Food (Matt 16:8-10)
4. Forgiveness (Lk 7:50, Rom 3:25)
5. Miracles (Acts 6:8, Gal 3:5)
6. Heart Purity (Acts 15:9)
7. Sanctification (Acts 26:18)
8. Righteousness (Rom 3:22, 9:30)
9. Justification (Rom 3:28-31, 4:1-25, 5:1, Gal 2:16, 3:8,24)
10.Renewal of Youth (Rom 4:17-20)
11.Stability (1 Cor 16:13, 2 Cor 1:24)
12.Christian living (2 Cor 5:7, Heb 10)
13.Holy Spirit (Gal 3:2,14)
14.Sonship (Gal 3:26)
15.Salvation (Acts 4:12, Eph 2:8-9)
16.Christ indwelling (Eph 3:17)
17.Baptism into Christ (Col 2:12)
18.Works of Power (1 Th 1:3, 2 Th 1:11)
19.Godly edifying (1 Tim 1:4)
20.Boldness (1 Tim 3:13)
21.Assurance (Heb 10:22)
22.Good profession (Heb 10:23)
23.Patience (James 1:3, 1 Peter 1:7)
24.Inheritance (James 2:5)
25.Power to resist Satan (1 Peter 5:9)
26.Victory over the world (1 John 5:4)
27.Edification (Jude 20)
28.Many Faith Exploits (Hebrews 11)
THE QUESTION - "WHO IS HE THAT OVERCOMES THE WORLD?"
BELIEVERS: He that believes that Jesus is the Son of God
BELIEVERS ARE OVERCOMES BECAUSE THEY ARE SONS (John 1:12)
Hebrews 6:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.